Friday, September 19, 2008

Walking my dog in the hood...

She's big, she's beautiful, she's unusual, she looks fierce, she wiggles when she walks. So, she attracts a lot of attention. In my neighborhood many people are afraid of her and curious as well. The comments I hear most as I walk by with her:

"Ooo that's a big dog."
"You holding that dog? You holding it tight?"
"Daaaaaaaaaamn looka dat dog!"
"That's a big ass pit, right there."
"Don't nobody mess with you, do they?"
"You're well protected."

Questions I am most often asked:

"What kinda dog that is?" She's a bullmastiff and if I tell people that they most often reply, "a bullmaster?" So I repeat, 'bullmasTIFF.' Often I lie and tell them she's mixed because I'm afraid of her being stolen with intent to fight her or breed her.

"She have puppies?"
Nope, she's fixed.
"Why you do that? You coulda made a loooot of money!"
When I have a dog I have a dog as a pet, not a money maker. Though, with all this one has cost me it might have been a good idea.

"That dog bite?"
If it's an adult I answer, "Not unless she's got reason to." To children I say, "she doesn't bite children." The kids ask from a distance of at least ten feet and with my answer they come a little closer, then closer and ask:
"Can I rub her?"
Yes, they say "rub" instead of "pet." I can often say, "I'd say yes but she'll steel that bag of chips you're holding." They always then hold the chips closer to them, smile and run away.

"What you feed that dog?" This always makes me laugh. I mean, everything. I feed her everything. I answer, "dog food."

No comments: