Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Huevos

In Spanish it means eggs. But it can mean the same thing that Balls means in English in certain context.

In the first weeks of school I use eggs on a white sheet of paper with one light source to teach beginners how to shade. On Friday I brought eggs to school without hard-boiling them first. Rookie mistake. One disappeared at the end of my last class. I alerted the Deans and they found the culprit before I got egg on my face.

This morning we began a new still life using simple geometric forms made of wood. Daisy asked, "Are you going to want our eggs first?" Laughter, and only in a school where many of the students are bilingual, Spanish being one of the languages.
"No Daisy, I don't need your eggs yet."
"So, we should just hold on to them?"
"Yes, hold on to your eggs."

I sit at my desk and try to take attendance. An IT guy had come in earlier and changed my monitor. He also changed my screen settings so the font and everything was HUGE. Sure, that made everything clearer but it also meant slower because I had to scroll all the time to see anything. I ask the class, "is anyone a computer genius that can help me?"
A boy says, "what do you need?"
"Everything is too big, I need it smaller." See, once you go that route you just can't seem to get to any other road. Daisy says, "he just said he knows how to get a virus, Miss."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

huevos with an h.