Sunday, September 21, 2008

Little Lady

So I got a little message from a Little Lady telling me how she thought my blog was funny and my life is interesting. I told her how much funnier this blog would be if I had written it back when she was in my class. I met her when she was a Sophomore in my Basic Art class. Little, cute, loud and funny Alba. She sat next to this really cute white boy named Kyle and they became fast friends. He called her "Little Lady." Alba is maybe five feet tall. Kyle promoted her when she ran for homecoming court. They walked the halls together; Alba yelling "VOTE FOR ME!" and Kyle following that up with "VOTE FOR ALBA!" If I remember correctly she didn't win. :( Kyle greeted her every day saying, "hello Little Lady." Alba wore a lot of polka dots, pink and little ribbons in her long black hair.

Their conversations with each other were like the classroom's edition of Erik and Kathy in the morning. If one or the other didn't show up it was unsettling quiet. A boy who never said anything asked Kyle on a day when she was absent, "where's the Little Lady today?" I don't think Kyle even knew the kid could speak.

Alba helped Kyle with his drawings, she was much better than he. One day he got a little too playful with her work and she belted out "Kyle, KYLE, KYLE!" The whole class stopped what they were doing. "Sorry." From then on if I saw him in the hall I'd yell out, "kyle, KYLE, KYLE!" and then LMAO.

There was a moment when Alba was somehow taken out of the class because of a schedule conflict and I went to her counselor with her to get her back in. The smile on her face afterwards was so priceless. Little Lady has an adorable smile.

Her senior year she was back in the room as an Advanced Placement student. She sat in the same place but with new buds, Erik and Edgar. She graduated in 2007, but before she left she arranged for the entire AP class to all write me a personal thank you note and on their last day with me they all walked up to me one at at time and handed me their pink envelope, said thank you and gave me a big hug. I felt like I was in a movie, those kids really got to me.

I'm going to have to write more about her, Little Lady.

No comments: