Sunday, September 7, 2008

A New Relationship

Every year starts with September for teachers. I'm not a fan of the first day or the first week, for that matter. I don't know these kids, I want my old kids back, I miss my old kids, these kids don't know me. They look funnier than usual. This year our school implemented a dress code. The pants are khaki and shirts are white. It's a sea of beigeness out there. Now these kids seem even more uninteresting to me, they're all beige. Last weekend I went to Goodwill and bought giant men's shirts as smocks. White and khaki - not so safe in the art room. The shirts I bought are all blue and green. I encourage the students to color their hair blue and purple and pink. "You first," they say.

So now I must woo them and make them love me. When they fall in love I will love them back and enjoy my job so much more.

I receive text messages from former students. Hansel sends from the community college, "I'm in a drawing class right now, they're so slow. I have to dumb down A LOT!" Franco sends from same college, "what's going on? My new drawing teacher hates me. This class is so boring, we're doing stuff I did with you like soph year." Mari, at the same school, sends, "Hey! How are you? How's the new crop? Any diamonds in the ruff?" Vero, from SAIC, sends "Anyone going to any art openings tonight?"

My dad asked if my students stay in touch with me for long. They usually are pretty frequent they're first year out of high school. They become less and less in touch they older they get. "That sounds about right," he says. I get a call from Claudia, "you've been neglecting me lately," she tells me. I guess I neglect all the formers in September. I spend a lot of time developing my new relationships. I miss them most now, though. I miss them a lot.

I believe one of my greatest weaknesses as a teacher is also one of my strengths; I love my students way too much.

No comments: