Wednesday, September 24, 2008

New Boss

There have been some changes to the structure of our administration. The Board says they need to save money, we (teachers) think of it as another way to keep us divided and limit communication.

When I first started in this district I was hired by a Dean; Dean of Fine Arts. Our Dean was our advocate, our guy in a suit that was our voice and helped us look sane about the things we were most passionate about. Sane: us theater, dance, music and arts people. There is no longer a Dean, they were replaced by Content Area Coordinators, or CAC's. CAC's were teachers that taught only three classes a day, instead of two, and given a pretty good stipend for being in a leadership position. They didn't have as much say in decisions as Deans but they were all we had. The CAC's were all "fired" at the end of last year. They were replaced by Lead Teachers. They could, if they wanted, reapply for the Lead Teacher position. Lead Teachers do pretty much the same job as CAC's only for a lot less money and they also teach a full five classes. Our old CAC wasn't about to work harder for less money so she did not reapply. Nobody else in the department wanted the job. Administrators asked us all to consider the position.

My room is closest to all administrator offices and so I was visited my frequently by the most administrators and asked to take the job. I felt like I was being courted by many different suitors to go to a dance that I would have to attend by myself. My repy was always the same, "no."

"No, I'd be terrible at it."
"That's not what your colleagues say. They all suggested you when asked who would do a good job." Ok, that's a lie. Why do suitors always lie?
"No, I'd be terrible; I'm not organized enough. Also, I'm afraid my AP class would suffer because I'd spend more time on department issues than on them. My personal life is in limbo right now and I just don't think I can take on another responsibility."
Then, one Friday morning my Principal showed up in my room and asked me to take the job. "Why don't you take this position?" I repeated my usual also adding: "I never apply for or take on a job that I don't think I'll do well at and I really don't think I'll do well at this."
He said, "You'll be fine. This sort of thing looks really good on a resume."
I smiled and said, "where am I going to go?" He smiled too.
"Well, just think it over. You know what? Try it for a year."
So I agreed to take the stupid job. They sold me the crappiest car on the lot and now I have to drive this bitch for at least a year until I pay it off.

I sent out a note to all the teachers in my department cursing them all for not having the balls (ignorance) to take the position themselves. They know me, they all know I'm going to do terribly at this but I reminded them anyway.

I saw the video teacher this morning on my way in, "good morning boss!" was his greeting as he laughed at me. "Yea, yea. Good morning."
"Do we have a meeting today?"
"Uuuuuummmm...I think so. Yes."
"Are you running it?"
"Nope, our Assistant Principal."
"Oh, where is it?"
"Hmmm... uh...?"
"Hey, keep up the good work!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go boss lady!! good luck i do not envy you.

Anonymous said...

did not know i could leave a comment without getting a blogger or google account, so now i do and therefore, you will hear from me on here more often. :) I always look forward to your newest blog - you rock girlfriend, keep keepin' it real.

oh... you need to practice "NO" a little more. nnnnnnnnn oooooooooo my 4 year old can even spell it! ;)