Friday, October 10, 2008

Legendary Teacher

One of our veterans passed away a couple nights ago. An English teacher that had been in the school for thirty three years. This guy was one of those characters you imagine when envisioning someone completely dedicated to the job.

I didn't know the man very well, at all, really. A self-described introvert he spent almost all of his time in the building with his own students in his own room. He wasn't the big voice that opposed administration openly, not the funny smart ass comic relief, or the crabby guy that should have retired years ago. He was just there to teach and teach well.

He was admired and respected by the kids, the one who taught them the value of the five paragraph essay. He may have had very few friends but I don't know anyone that didn't like him.

Today there were many emails sent from teachers to us all about him, to honor and memorialize him. Many of these teachers are alumni of the school and had him as a teacher when they were kids. I came to realize what an impact he had on so many, how powerful our words and teaching can be to the children we come in contact with every day. How awfully he'll be missed by so many. This man that was so quiet in passing me in and out of the main office, auditorium, cafeteria (only to get coffee). I spoke about him with Mandy last night, with Mariko, and with Kathy. Everyone had a different story of how he influenced them and their teaching.

Today Vince came in to my class during Sustained Silent Reading and gave me a kiss on the cheek. "I just needed a little cheering up," he said and left. I smiled and blew him a kiss as he walked out. I wondered how long before I lost a good friend this way.

Leaving the building today I glanced down a hallway and saw four students seated on the floor in front of an open locker and surrounded by balloons. I don't know what they were doing but the sight just touched me. Kids, on a Friday, on the floor, with balloons quietly speaking to each other. Nobody was rushing them home. What's the rush anyway?

We are in the service of these children and I can only hope I serve them well.

No comments: