Sunday, July 6, 2008

Pluto Sandwiches

To get out of the house and away from my soon to be ex husband (stbeh), I have been spending a lot of nights at my bff's house. Heather lives in Licoln Park in a pretty fabulous house. She's been my most treasured confidant throughout every stage of my divorce/seperation and the way she accepts me into her home as a guest is most generous and most appreciated.

Heather's little boy, Jackson, is almost two. It's ben great fun watching him grow. He loves dogs as much as Heather and I do. He's very attached to his mom but he's also really independent. This morning when I woke up he greeted me in his diaper and t-shirt with his drill in hand and wearing safety goggles.

Jackson has, as every child does, an hour or so each day when he gets most crabby. He is offered milk, hugs, music and food at this time as pacifiers and he usually finds one thing that'll calm him down. One day he was being particularly crabby as he sat on his mother's lap and would not take anything to calm himself. So, I pretended to be eating a sandwich and asked him if he wanted a bite. "It's a Pluto Sandwich, you want some?" I offered it to him and and he stopped crying. He looked at my hand and then at me and I said, "it's really good! Mmmnnn." He leaned toward the sandwich, opened his mouth and took a bite. "Right? It's good, isn't it?" I took another bite and rubbed my tummy, "wow it's good." He leaned over for another bite.

I don't know what they put in those sandwiches but they work every time.

No comments: