Thursday, June 5, 2008

Karma pays me back

When I first saw my house I knew I had to have it. I was leaving on a five-week trip to Europe and I told my husband to try and get it for us, which he did. I was so in love with that house, from first sight to dramatic move in. It soon became a symbol of my marriage in my dreams. Whenever my husband and I were fighting I’d dream of trees falling into the roof and damaging it. If we calmed down and talked over the possibility of divorce I’d dream of watching strange people come through it looking to buy it. I’m still in love with my house; I still very much love my husband. But the divorce is in progress and the “For Sale” sign went up last week

When we first moved in I was so pleased with how many neighbors would stop by and say “hello, welcome to the neighborhood,” while I was outside gardening. There were a lot of hustlers; I’ll call them, trying to sell me things like tropical plants, smoke detectors, and bags of socks. I’d wonder, “Where did they get those giant plants?” Soon, three large tropical houseplants were stolen off our front porch. My next-door neighbor asked, “Why you don’t lock your front gate at night?” So we started locking the gate at night. But during the day the mail person needed to get in, the neighborhood beat officer stopped by on occasion and the alderman’s clerks would come through as well. So we’d unlock the gate each morning.

One sunny morning a lady came to my door selling candy bars. For her kids, she said, “They go to St. Martin de Porres right up the street and they sellin’ these candy bars to help pay a tuition.” She was well dressed but the clothes were unkempt and she wore a lot of makeup and a wig. “You new to the neighborhood?” I explained that we had just moved in and really loved it so far. “For real? I stay wit my kids right up on Waller.” She gave me an exact address on the street next to ours. “Here my kids, right here.” She said as she pulled out her wallet and a photo folio filled with pictures of children. I asked her why the kids weren’t out here with her selling the candy. She laughed and said, “You know what? They should be here. I bring ‘em wit me when I bring you da candy.” I looked at a laminated page of fundraising candy that had to be at least five years old. I knew something was up but I completely played along with her. I told her what I wanted and she recorded my order in a spiral notepad. Wow, no phony order sheet, just a notepad, I wondered what was next. It didn’t take long to find out, she asked for payment on my 16.oo order. I told her I only had a twenty and she looked around. “Well, there a bank right over there. I’ll go and get yer change.”

I don’t know why I did what I did next. I just did it, without pause. I handed her my money and watched her walk away with it. I shut the door behind me and had another cup of coffee and wondered if even the kids were real. I had my husband put a new lock on the front gate, install a mailbox accessible from the sidewalk, and we started locking the gate all time after that.

The other day I was returning from a walk with my dog. On the sidewalk in front of my house just below the “For Sale” sign was a twenty-dollar bill. I thanked Karma and went inside.

Subscribe to this feed

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa,..That was a great blog-I enjoyed reading it and loved your "recreation" of her diction! Houses are funny that way,..you live in them, make them your own and then somebody else moves in and it turns into just another house although a part of you is always in that house and the house in you! I know you are sad to see it go-it IS a beautiful house and so are you!A new family full of love will move into that house,..and a new man full of love will move into your heart one day and make a new home with you! I love you cuz! Lynne

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool, but what about interest? Better keep your peepers peeled for that! Me thinks that the lady was scamming around again, and your house found her when you were asleep. It schooled her ass and then took that 20 from her. She tried to scam the house, but it was wise to her, so it buried her in your front yard deep. This will pay a warning to all those trying to scam again, for they shall sense her buried scamming heart underground. One day she may rise again with a group of scamming zombies, but the world will be ready for them and their minion! Yeah,,,,,rock on!

Anonymous said...

Yo hey, loved the blog. I understand your love for your house and we were not lucky enough to be able to buy our house until we were 40. Lived in 5 different apartments when we married but the feeling we had when we moved into our house was one of contentment and happiness each day and thank God we were finally able to wipe the silly smile off of our face after around ahhhhhhhhhhh 3 years. I (or should I say we at that time) after 13 years of marriage and renting, felt like we finally had reached the "Hey Mom and Dad we're on top of the world" so to speak. We chrisened (spelling?) every room (I know to much information) within a couple of days out of pure pleasure, and I might add, "THE FIERO" in the garage. I do think we made the "guinness book of records under smallest area to be in for close to an hour" Ah Hahhhh I knew my bad back didn't come from the two motorcycle accidents. Anyway to make a long story short, after 18 years here (8 of which have been alone) I can't handle the thought of selling my sanctuary but I know it is inevitable soon. Oh man let me get out of that little room in the corner of my mind.

Anyway I just want to say I don't think it was Karma that paid you back because you knew exactly wat was happening. Don't ever underestimate (I don't have my contacts in yet so excuse my spelling) people or how you feel. Hey I have been born, raised and lived in Chicago my whole life, which alot of people think the city is scary. Not at all to me. I miss it alot. My point being, we moved here and the "brown's chicken" massacre was a couple days later, and never in the city did someone come onto my front of house and flung my bird bath smashing it to pieces in the street. Damn, I newer owned a gun in the city but I sure as hell went and got one immediately to protect myself from the bored, cold inconsiderate assholes in the "beautiful" suburbs. Point being, never judge a book by its cover, and I am so sorry (I saw your house on the computer) you will be leaving your spectacular home. I believe I will also be bowing out gracefully soon from my security and love of my little 1250 sq.ft. home but my girl is almost 10 and I can't stay here no more when I lose her too. For all I know, it may be sooner when its foreclosed on. Sorry for all the blah, blah, blah but just wanted to respond to your blog. Ciao for now bella and don't forget your in my heart and soul always. me