Friday, March 6, 2009

Bad Example

I got a new phone. I LOVE my new phone, it’s a smart phone and you know what? It is smart, damn smart. I normally keep my phone off at work but yesterday I was playing with my new smart phone and I got a text message. Touch and slide the little arrow up to “view” and there’s a message from Nelly, one of my AP kids. “Hey Miss! I’m in LAC and it totally sucks!” LAC is an in school suspension room. Kids are given LAC when they mess up, like violate uniform or get a bunch of tardies.

I shake my head and then text her back, “do you want me to send you some work?” I’m thinking, “I take phones from kids all the time for texting in school and here I am advocating it. I am a really bad teacher. The use of cell phones is prohibited during school hours.

Nelly texts back, “YES please!! Paper, charcoal, anything! I’m so bored.” I walk down with some paper and charcoal pencils for her. The room is really hot and I wonder how the kids can stay awake in there. They can’t sleep or talk to each other but the security person doesn’t notice how at least five of them are playing with their cell phones. “Oh my God! Thank you so much! You rule!” She says as I hand her the supplies. She’s sitting next to Dana, another AP kid. She puts down her phone and gets to drawing. Dana also drops her cell phone, grabs some of the paper and draws also.

No comments: