Saturday, November 15, 2008

Undercover Racists

I really hate when white people think that just because you are also white that you believe the same racist thoughts they believe.

In talking to men I'm going to have to get better at dragging this sort of thing out of them if I'm going to ever go back to white. What...it could happen.

Case in point:

I'm out with Dora and we're talking to two men who say they are from Orland Park. I'm not fond of the South Side. I have this idea that it's racist. I don't know where I get that from. I'm trying not to judge people because of their neighborhood and they're pretty funny so we talk a bit. Some really pretty black girls walk by and the Taller one, Mike, says. "They're hot." I agree with him and he follows it with a story. "I was dating this girl in college and she took me to her home town in Kansas one weekend to meet the family and half of them were black." I'm nodding, maybe he was expecting a reply like, "NO! What did you do?"
He continues, "so I had to break up with her. You'd never know it by looking at her but what if it got more serious and we got married and had kids. You know? I just couldn't take that chance."
Now my head is bowed and I'm shaking it. "What? Would you?"
I say, "um...my husband is black."
"What? No! Really?"
"Yes, really." His friend is not even trying to bail him out and he begins to take on more water.
"A black guy? I'd never picture you marrying a black guy."
WTF? Why do people say shit like that?
I say, "Well it was nice talking to you."
Ok, get this...he says, "No, what? You're leaving? I won't hold it against you. I teach at an all black school."
I didn't think it could get worse. Those poor kids.

So how do you tell and undercover racist? What questions do you use to bring it out of them?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It would be hilarious if it weren´t so sad and pathetic.

I have met a few south side Chicago people here in Buenos Aires and they are far from being racist so don´t fall for that little trap. You have just met the ones that are I guess.

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, I can't seem to decide which is worse, undercover or overt racism.
Since is is "so bad" to be racist, a lot of racist white people have gone covert, just like in Lisa's story. On the other hand, a very disturbing trend is just as racist: "I just voted for Obama", "why" I ask, "because it's time for a black man to be in the White House". "Huh?, didn't you compare policies between candidates?", "No". It actually seems to be getting trendy to be racist against white (even for white people) - or for brown to be racist against black. I just don't get it, its time for civilization to grow up, color doesn't matter, and everyone needs to take note.