Friday, July 10, 2009

Roomies

Living with my soon to be ex husband in this house has definitely had it's odd moments. Seven bedrooms was always too many for us and I often brought up renting some out but he was never comfortable with the idea when we were married. In this economy and in our situation it looked like a better idea. So we started with one rental. She's nineteen and a flight attendant. I loved her right away. When she worked out fine I found another young man who needed a place just for the summer to do his internship in the loop.

I haven't had roommates for a long time but I've always had really good luck with people. These two young people are no exception.

We all have very different schedules and are rarely all home together. Even when we are all home the house is so large we often only bump into each other in the kitchen. A couple nights ago we three put all the furniture back in place (the hard wood floors had been refinished)and then found ourselves on the front porch sipping drinks and talking.

Contessa romped around the yard eating grass and searching for remnants of cat while we got our buzz on and related stories of the hood. We all laughed as in unison we were able to recite the announcement coming from the train 1/2 block away, "Attention customers, an outbound train from the Loop will be arriving shortly."

I often doubt my decision to be the one leaving this house. At first it was difficult because it was my dream home; the home I imagined filling with children and having family over for barbecues. But with each life transition I have adapted and my new situation is fun and interesting also. Living with these young people is great and it's been wonderful sharing the house I've made a home with them. God, I hope I'm doing the right thing.

No comments: