Monday, April 7, 2008

The New Botox

For Spring Break, this year, I went economical and visited a cousin I hadn't seen in years. She lives in Texas, which is sooooo much warmer than Chicago that I invited myself for a five day stay with her and her 2 1/2 year old daughter.
We had coffee each morning outside and wine each evening, also outside. We went for walks and and drove to the beach and shopped resale for new clothes. I was able to pick up a bit of a tan to bring back to Chicago with me.
Any slight change in appearance is noticed by students who do nothing to hold back their shock in the change. It began first hour, "Miss, did you lighten your hair?" \
"No, my skin is darker."
"No, really, did you dye your hair?"
"No, I'm telling you, my skin is darker. I have a tan."
"oooooh. For real?"
Second hour it started all over, "Hey Miss! Is your hair blonder?" asks Sam.
"No, I have a tan so my hair looks lighter."
"You look younger," adds Hansel, always interested in a little extra credit via compliments.
"I think she got Botox," says Jorge.
"Did you get Botox?" asks Michael as he walks in.
"No, I'm just tan."
"No, she got Botox. Why'd you get Botox, Miss?" adds Jorge.
"You got Botox?" asks Diana when she walks in.
"I did not...you know what? Just....I'm just tan."
"Did you wear sunglasses, Miss?" Asks Hansel.
"Of course I wore sunglasses."
"Oh," says Jorge, "that's why you look like you have Botox. You shoulda left your glasses off and just got Botox."
"You got Botox?" aks Mari as she walks in.

No comments: